The CrossFit Open is an amazing time of the year. It can really enhances the CrossFit Experience at your gym. For many of our athletes, this may be their first time.
Their first pull-up. Their first toes-2-bar. Their first Muscle-Up or double under. May be it’s a PR on their snatch.
Whatever it is, it’s inspiring.
I look back at the last two open seasons at our gym and recall all of the amazing memories. Year 1, we had a lot of people just compete and have fun. Year 2, we introduced an intramural team format.
Resources on Creating an Amazing CrossFit Open Experience
Two of the thought leaders in the CrossFit space are John Swanson from FactoryForged and Chris Cooper from TwoBrainCoaching. Both of them have inspired me and 100s of affiliates on how to run an amazing experience. Here’s a link to their resources.
The Intramural Open 2016 – Your Complete Guide – http://twobraincoaching.com/the-intramural-open-2016-your-complete-guide/
How To Engage Your Member To Increase Open Participation – http://www.factoryforged.com/how-to-engage-your-member-to-increase-open-participation/
Enhancing the Experience
At my gym, we’re taking those templates and enhancing the experience for our athletes. This year, we’re following the intramural format again and here’s our write-up on it – http://crossfitcomo.com/2016-crossfit-intramural-open-at-crossfit-como/. Here’s a few things we have on our plate.
- The Affiliate Team Cup – Modeled after the CrossFit Affiliate Cup, we created our own version. On our website (linked above) – you’ll see how ours is designed.
- Event Sponsors – We are expecting between 60-80 of our athletes to sign up for The Open this year and another 40-50 watching each week. We’ve developed a sponsorship packet for the entire series and each event. One of our ambassadors is taking the lead and helping recruit companies. Download the sponsorship packet here.
- #DominateTheOpen Skill Sessions – Leading up to the Open, we introduced a program to our athletes called DominateTheOpen. This is where they can meet with their primary coach(or any coach) and get programs on how to improve or develop very specific skills that will be displayed in the Open. We’re building out a new website where coaches and their athletes can have access to these training programs and so much more. Get on the launch list at http://www.dominatetheopen.com
- Weekend Open Prep – Our programming has been featuring a Open Workout on Fridays for the past couple of weeks and leading up to the Friday of the first event. We carved out an hour on two Saturdays where our coaches are teaching some Open Prep.
- Hire a DJ. – This hypes everyone up. We found a guy who does it on the side for an incredibly reasonable rate.
- Hire a masseuses/chiro – Take care of those people who are competing and allows those people to cross-market
- Write a blog post like this – 13 Reasons You Should Sign-Up for the Open (CrossFitCOMO.com). This took us from 22 athletes to 45 in 3 days.
These are just a few ideas to help kick start the Open experience. What are you doing?